Several options will be available to commuters traveling in and around the Raleigh area during the Fortify project.
Public Transportation Options
Phase I (Monday, December 16, 2013):
- Daily express bus service between downtown Raleigh and Johnston County.
- Designated park-and-ride lots for public transit commuters
- Additional vanpool service from Johnston County
- Bus on Shoulder System (BOSS) on I-40 from Raleigh to N.C. 42 (Exit 312)
Phase II (Fall 2014):
- Phase I expansions, PLUS
- New bus routes:
- Cary through west Raleigh and N.C. State University into downtown Raleigh
- Fuquay-Varina into Raleigh
- Hourly service on Garner-Downtown Raleigh route 102 from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm
Share the Ride
If the bus or train doesn’t work for you, carpools and vanpools are a great way to save money and time, and provides opportunities to socialize.
Share the Ride NC has all the information you need to start a carpool or find existing carpools along your route.
Several Vanpool services are available all over the Triangle. Visit Share the Ride NC to find the best vanpool option for you.
Emergency Ride Home
Worried about emergencies? Sign up for the Emergency Ride Home program.
Come on Ride the Train
Traveling outside of the Triangle? Why not avoid the interstate and ride the rails! North Carolina’s Amtrak offers multiple trips between Raleigh, the Triad and Charlotte every day.
Booking your ticket is quick and easy. Just visit NCDOT’s NCByTrain.org for schedules, fares and discounts.
The Benefits of Taking Transit
- Making the most of your time. By riding in the backseat instead of the driver’s seat, you can do work, catch up on your email or finally order that belated birthday gift you’ve been meaning to buy.
- Better health. Taking public transit not only relieves stress, but studies show transit riders on average get roughly 19 minutes of additional physical activity a day just by walking to stops and destinations.
- Saving money. You won’t have to fill up your car’s gas tank as often. That means more money in your pocket for something more exciting than idling on the interstate.