Transferring to Family
If a vehicle is transferred between;
- husband & wife,
- parent & child or
- stepparent & stepchild.
The recipient is exempt from the Highway Use Tax (HUT).
The exemption is applicable to North Carolina title transactions only.
Transferring the Title of your vehicle
When transferring ownership of a vehicle in North Carolina, the process is very similar to Titling & Registering a Vehicle.
When would a Title transfer be appropriate?
- Buying or selling a vehicle
- Gifting or donating
The Title Transfer requires an additional document to be provided, the original Title of the vehicle. The information on the back of the original Title must be filled out by both the original owner and recipient. This information includes;
- Buyer/Recipient's name & address
- Date of sale or date of delivery
- Seller's signature & hand printed name
- Odometer reading (if required)
- Damage Disclosure Statement
Title Transfer, Steps
- Step 1, Requirements & Documents
Choose one of categories below that best describes what you're doing, then complete the corresponding documents and forms.
When completing forms and documents read and follow the
complete set of directions. Identification will be required for
all services that are processed in person. View
Identification Acceptable Documents
- For vehicles purchased from an individual, complete these:
- For vehicles purchased from a dealer, complete these:
- For vehicles being donated or gifted, complete these:
- Acceptable proof of liability insurance:
- Step 2, Submit & Pay Your Application
Payments for transactions at DMV Offices are accepted in the form of
money order or
We cannot accept debit or credit cards at this time.
|Certificate of Title
|Duplicate Title with Reassignment
|Tax, Vehicles [?]
||3% Highway Use Tax
Late Penalty Fee
If the buyer/recipient fails to submit the request for title transfer within 28 days from the date of delivery or notary date (whichever is later), the owner will be subject to a late penalty.
- Failure to Transfer Title Within 28 Days, Fee: $15.00